Recently I’ve been seeing a lot of this quote:
“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants” – Thomas Jefferson.
It has been suggested that this is to be understood as a call to arms against an unjust government. That would be an incorrect interpretation.
The quote is out of context. Try reading the full quote:
“God forbid we should ever be twenty years without such a rebellion.
The people cannot be all, and always, well informed. The part which is wrong will be discontented, in proportion to the importance of the facts they misconceive.
If they remain quiet under such misconceptions, it is lethargy, the forerunner of death to the public liberty. …
And what country can preserve its liberties, if it’s rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms.
The remedy is to set them right as to the facts, pardon and pacify them.
What signify a few lives lost in a century or two?
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
It is its natural manure.”
– Thomas Jefferson, November 13, 1787, letter to William S. Smith, quoted in Padover’s Jefferson On Democracy, ed., 1939
The emphasis is mine. This is my take on the above quote, and what it means in the context of the changes going on in our country.
It is the solemn and patriotic duty of every American Citizen to loudly protest against any government action they do not understand.
It is the solemn and patriotic duty of every American Leader to engage with equal fervor and EXPLAIN COMPLETELY to the people the action being taken.
It is the solemn and patriotic duty of every American Citizen and American Leader to engage in this debate.
It does not matter that the communication of this information may take time, or expense, or that some people will never understand it.
It does not matter that the U.S. population is 100x greater now than when Jefferson wrote his words in 1787.
The people have a duty to protest, the leaders have a duty to explain.
If the current leaders are mystified at the reason behind the vociferous opposition to Health Care Reform, it is because they have done a PISS POOR JOB OF EXPLAINING IT!!
Barney Frank lashed out at a citizen during a town hall meeting recently because he believed her to be a nutball. I believe her to be confused.
The debate about health care reform is not going to be solved through ad homenim attacks on the proponents or opponents.
The questions remain:
Why do we – the whole country, not just the uninsured – need health care reform?
If health care reform is needed, why is THIS the best way to do it for the whole country?
Can ANYONE point me to a link where these questions are answered succinctly and completely?
I really want comments on this one – lurkers.
The Obama driven “Health Care Reform” bill is just like the Patriot Act.
Poorly articulated, of dubious purpose and function, and being shoved down the throats of the citizenry.
Anyone who questions it must be “Un-American” “Un-Patriotic”, or merely a delusional whatever-wing fanatic.
Wow, different party in office, different agenda – same tactics.
Why will no one answer questions forthright?
Just give us the facts, no spin, no persuasion – let us decide for ourselves.
- Why do we need health care reform? What ‘exactly’ is wrong with our health care?
- What part of health care are you talking about? Provision? Administration? What?
- Does the government now get to decide what treatments are “covered”? – I have an HMO to deny my treatment now, what do I need the government to do that for?
- Is the government going to set up more “free” clinics? Or will every doctor now be drafted into “free” service?
- Will I have the right to a second opinion on my health care needs?
- Is the government going to subsidize my medications, therapies, and medical equipment? Will it all be free?
- If I am employed and must stay healthy to earn a living, will I have to wait in line at public clinics with all the unemployed sick people?
- What kind of emergency procedures will be covered? Experimental procedures? Routine procedures?
There are more questions, but my arthritis is acting up.
HEY! Why when I go to usa.gov – the government’s search engine – and type in “Health care reform” why do I get “98 results for health care reform out of at least 947,000”?
And why isn’t the text of the proposed bill one of the very first things I see? I can’t even figure out where to get a copy to read myself!
I went to healthreform.gov, the government’s propaganda site – truly it is because there isn’t a link to be found to the text of the bill!
Forget “Where’s Waldo”, where’s the bill?